My post was inspired by Kristine’s musings on coffee and hygge. Hygge is a Danish word for coziness or simple comforts that bring feelings of wellness and contentment. It means creating a warm atmosphere and enjoying life with good people. Hygge reminds us of the importance of simple comforts in our lives, especially this year with all the challenges we face. I’m on board with any way we can increase comfort and nurture. I felt the urge to decorate early this year and be mindful of my choices to uplift myself and others for the holidays.
Here are some of my favorites ways to create comfort for the holidays.
- Christmas decorations
- quiet time in nature
- the aroma of pine trees
- a homecooked meal shared with friends and family
- singing Christmas carols
- hugs or the embrace of a friend
- reading a good book tucked in bed
- warm soup on a cold night
- sharing a full belly laugh
- the soft light of candles
- listening to Christmas music
- the kiss of a lover
- bright cheerful Christmas clothes
- warm soothing drinks like cocoa, tea, or hot toddy
We’ve had lots of time to reflect on our lives this year, giving us an opportunity to clarify what is most important. For me, that is loving the people in my life and living a simple life focused on love, health, and simple joys. I hope you discover what’s most important to you and align your life with those priorities.
Wishing you holidays full of comfort and joy!