I like intentions better than goals. They offer a direction without being fixed on a set goal that often provides momentary happiness if at all. I agree with the perspective that our process is more important than the goal or results. And even more important than the actions, intentions, goals or process is who we become in the course of our life. I believe the purpose of life is to enjoy, learn and become more loving.
Intentions speak to my heart and offer a guiding light for the direction of my soul’s growth, rather than a fixed point to reach or goal to accomplish. There is no magic ending, pot of gold, or rainbow at the end. I believe that it doesn’t matter whether we offer an energy to ourselves or others. The energy grows and benefits both parties regardless. Right now, “loving yourself” seems to be the trendy-to-do for spiritual seekers everywhere. I say it doesn’t matter if you love yourself or others. They accomplish the same thing. What we give is also what we receive. If we fixate on the idea of loving ourselves, we run the risk of living defensively as if we need to protect ourselves from others. And yes, we need to take care of ourselves physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Ideally, life is a dance of giving and receiving.
Here is a wonderful article about Hunter Thompson and his philosophy on how to find your purpose. I agree with his perspective and only wish I had encountered it about 20 years earlier. Maybe it will help some of you find the path that speaks to your heart and brings meaning to your life.
Here are some of my intentions for 2017:
- Growing as a writer. Maybe try some new forms like short stories or e-books.
- Being more compassionate.
- Being more peaceful.
- Inspiring and encouraging others. My life purpose is communicating love which I am more consciously living thanks to great feedback from friends and readers of this blog. Thank you.
- Being more engaged with people. I’ve realized that I learn, grow, and enjoy life more via relationships.
- Being more contented. No matter where I go, what I do or what I accomplish.
- Being more spacious. Relaxing into life. When I feel off, constricted or strained, I will pause, breathe deeply and relax into life. This opens up space in my body and mind to connect with the spaciousness of being.
To simplify, my life purpose is to communicate love and my intention for 2017 is to be more spacious, relaxing into life.